Friday, April 11, 2014

Barton County Fair - Great Bend, KS

  The drive from Lawrence, Ks to Great Bend was one of my favorites on this Kansas fair journey.  You get to pass through the Flint Hills, a really big wind farm(windmills), and numerous little towns that just beg to be explored.  On the way, you pass old vacant farm houses and a couple of what looked to me like ghost towns.  I stopped and made a few photographs at one empty house that appeared to have been untouched for decades.  The front door was long gone and tumbleweeds littered the living room. 

  After checking into the Baltzell Motel (I made a point to find the cheapest, kitschiest roadside motels I could find), I headed out to the fairgrounds.  The Barton Co. fair had a 4-H fair and a carnival.  It was a really sweet day, loads of sun and happy people.  I got some really great shots of the rides at dusk.  Here are a few images from the day...


No comments:

Post a Comment